This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
Almost Wikipedia: What Eight Collaborative Encyclopedia Projects Reveal About Mechanisms of Collective Action
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
I'm going to present some preliminary findings from a qualitative, inductive, case-study based analysis of 8 early projects to create online collaborative encyclopedias founded before Wikipedia. My initial results are based on data from 8 projects -- the full population -- in the form of interviews of the projects' founders and extensive archival data. My findings are a set of propositions focused on suggesting why Wikipedia succeeded in attracting contributors while the other projects did so less effectively. In a follow-up project, I'm hoping to test these in a quantitative dataset I've been building.
The project is part of a larger research project that attempts to use failure cases to understand why some attempts at online collective action are successful while most never take off.
- Video of Talk given at Harvard in October 2011
- Article by Megan Garber that summarizes the results of the research and which is published at the Nieman Journalism Lab
WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Amir E. Aharoni (talk)
- the wub "?!"
- Mindspillage (talk) 03:49, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- --Amakuha (talk) 06:00, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Tbayer (WMF) (talk) 07:39, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Mike Linksvayer (talk) 17:39, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 20:02, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- Graham87 (talk) 10:28, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
- Thuvack (talk) 17:38, 21 April 2012 (UTC)
- JoBaWik (talk) 12:39, 17 May 2012 (UTC)
- --Lilaroja (talk) 05:15, 5 June 2012 (UTC)
- Dmitri Lytov (talk) 21:06, 6 June 2012 (UTC)
- --Ctrala (talk) 19:07, 14 July 2012 (UTC)