Submissions/Education Program Volunteers - Where we have Succeeded and Failed, and what YOU can do to make the Future a Success
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Education Program Volunteers – Where we have succeeded and failed, and what YOU can do to make the future a success!
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- 5 to 10 minute presentation, subsequent 40-35 minute panel
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- wikipedia_ambassadors_sc -AT- lists.wikimedia.org
- Panel Members
- en:User:Epistemophiliac (USA)
- en:User:Pharos (USA)
- Maximilianklein (talk) 16:10, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
- MikeLynch (talk)
- Cindamuse talk (USA)
- Guerillero | My Talk (USA)
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- US Education Program - Ambassadors Steering Committee
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Since its launch in September 2010, as the Public Policy Initiative, the Education program and the Ambassador program have had mixed results. The program has helped incubate articles in previously poorly covered topics (ie: A student in a Freshman class wrote this article on Lobbying from scratch, while a graduate student took this article on an Egyptian Political Party to Wikipedia's front page twice), received Press coverage and brought new editors into the community. Yet at the same time, the program has had some failures and flareups, some classes had plagiarism and copyright violation issues so bad that it has brought up the question "Why do we even have this program?".
This panel's objective will be to provide not only an answer to that question, but also how the program can succeed in the future. After a brief presentation also including how other members of the community can help in making our two main goals (Creating Quality Content and Retaining Student Editors) a reality; we will open up the floor to any questions attendees have.
- WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education
- Length of presentation/talk
- 45 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- See Panel Members
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- GastelEtzwane (talk) 23:03, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- --Brest (talk) 01:08, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Tbayer (WMF) (talk) 08:03, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Iopensa (talk) 10:25, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 22:00, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
- Ldavis (WMF) (talk) 23:07, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
- Of course :) Rangilo Gujarati (talk) 13:58, 26 March 2012 (UTC)
- Graham87 (talk) 10:45, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
- MyNameWasTaken (talk) 20:44, 16 April 2012 (UTC)
- SupaplexTW (talk) 08:42, 2 May 2012 (UTC)
- Your name here!