Submissions/Empowering the Wikipedia community in the face of cultural change
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Drive, Desire, Determination, and Don't Quit!
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Cindy Ashley-Nelson
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
With over 20 years background in human resources and quality management training in manufacturing, government, and nonprofit development, this presentation is tailored for the Wikimedia and Wikipedia communities. In the face of cultural change, narrow gender gap, failed education pilot programs, limited administrator applicants, and reduction in the number of active Wikipedia editors overall, this presentation will serve to go beyond the external and look to the inner strength and passion that brought us all to Wikipedia in the first place.
As an example, let's take a look at an employment application process. Some corporate recruiters and executives prefer to save time through organizing group interviews, rather than individual ones. These group interviews gather all promising applicants to essentially reveal their passion and leadership, in visual comparison to others. A hypothetical situation: what if all applicants shared identical personal, educational, and professional backgrounds? All resumes or CVs were virtual carbon copies of the other? What would set one person apart from the rest? The answer rests not with the external, but with the internal. An internal drive, desire, and determination to be the best they can possibly be. In this regard, no one person is comparable to another.
True quality and success is something that comes from within. An internal force, rather than an external one. My hope is that this presentation would serve to assist and empower editors to recapture their first love of Wikipedia and move forward with a determination to excel beyond their wildest dreams.
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector; GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums); WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education; Technology and Infrastructure)
- WikiCulture and Community
- Length of presentation/talk (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- If I receive a scholarship, otherwise, I cannot afford to make the trip
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).