Submissions/How Wikidata fits into the global web of data
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikidata Introduction and Overview
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Denny Vrandečić
- E-mail address
- meta:User:Denny Vrandečić (WMDE)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Deutschland
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Wikidata's goal is to move the rich structured data currently encoded in Wikipedia templates into a central repository, which will be available for re-use on all Wikimedia projects, but also to 3rd party services. We will introduce what Wikidata aims to do and how: centralizing language links, centralizing data for the infoboxes, and all of that in the first new Wikimedia project since 2006. We also talk about how the data can be accessed and reused.
Context: Wikidata is a new project by Wikimedia Deutschland with the goal to create a data repository for Wikipedia and the world. It aims to be Wikimedia Commons for data. Imagine only having to edit data in one place and then being able to reuse it across Wikipedia and beyond. Imagine no-longer having to curate lists of articles by hand. What if instead that would be happening automatically? Imagine small Wikipedias being able to bootstrap hundreds of articles by using data that was curated in larger Wikipedias. This and much more is what we are working to make reality.
Wikidata holds huge opportunities for Wikipedia and we're here to talk about them. Community support and involvement is extremely important for the success of Wikidata and we want to take this as an opportunity to let you know about the work we have already done and what the plans for the next months are.
- Technology and Infrastructure
- Length of presentation/talk
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
- Not at the same time as other Wikidata presentations (1, 2) and panel.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Yaron Koren (talk) 15:53, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
- Jeroen De Dauw (talk) 18:40, 17 March 2012 (UTC)
- Edsu (talk) 12:02, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 22:54, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Mike Linksvayer (talk) 17:46, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 18:40, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Beat Estermann (talk) 00:09, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
- Edswing (talk) 12:35, 28 March 2012 (UTC)
- Varnent (talk) 02:45, 1 April 2012 (UTC)
- Lejuin (talk) 16:47, 4 April 2012 (UTC)
- Nonoxb (talk) 11:42, 9 May 2012 (UTC)
- JoBaWik (talk) 12:08, 17 May 2012 (UTC)
- NaBUru38 (talk) 16:59, 7 June 2012 (UTC)
- Emw (talk) 20:14, 16 June 2012 (UTC)
- MB-one (talk) 15:24, 27 June 2012 (UTC)
- NusHub (talk) 07:16, 2 July 2012 (UTC)
- Boite-en-Valise (talk) 15:17, 5 July 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here