This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Presenting Wikipedia and Wikimedia issues (copyright, free knowledge, wiki principle, encyclopedic writing etc.) can be quite a challenge. What are the interests of our specific audience, and what are actually your interests or the interests of the movement you represent? I have presented our issues many times in schools, universities, hobby associations, at panel discussions, in four different languages, and I have written a printed Wikipedia textbook in German.
Confusing the audience is done so easily. For example, is it really wise to call Wikimedia Commons just Commons if there is already a Creative Commons out there? Do you always check that you don't use your account with admin rights when you show editing Wikipedia? Did you also experience that one must become very modest about the quantity of information one wants to pass over? Having prepared good slides is important, but what about your story? Can you make it as concrete and vivid as necessary?
Outreach is based on an analysis of the audience, a thorough thinking through of your subjects, the didactical reduction and a very, very thoughtful use of technical terms. In this session I would like to share my experiences and get some feedback.
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector; GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums); WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education; Technology and Infrastructure)
GLAM or Research, Analysis, and Education
- Length of presentation/talk (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- NaBUru38 16:52, 23 February 2012 (UTC)
- --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 15:57, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
- --Saintfevrier (talk) 23:07, 29 February 2012 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 21:26, 2 March 2012 (UTC)
- Haxpett (talk) 23:39, 10 March 2012 (UTC)
- CyrielB (talk) 21:40, 12 March 2012 (UTC)
- HstryQT (talk) 20:00, 15 March 2012 (UTC)
- Carolmooredc (talk) 20:19, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
- Shani (talk) 02:38, 17 March 2012 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 09:06, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.