Submissions/Wikipedia and Sanskrit Wikipedia from a sanskrit research scholar's perspective
This is a rejected submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikipedia and Sanskrit Wikipedia from a sanskrit research scholar's perspective
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
Sudev Krishna Sharman G
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Research Scholar < University of Calicut
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
Sanskrit is the backbone of India's language tradition.Many of the knowledge systems not only of India but also of South east asia owes its ancient heritage in sanskrit. Most of the ancient sanskrit works available now are having no references to their authors which shows the freemindedness of the ancient Indian seers. The tradition of ancient education of sanskrit and its allied systems were not at all based on the financial status of the student. Certain other parameters like the quality, the character and the attitude of the student is tested which is termed as 'shishyapareekshaa'. And once the student passed this test he would be given the education according to his taste . In this sense Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia and ancient sanskrit systems have certain things in common. Apart from that the wikimedia should be appraised for starting its sanskrit version 'Sanskrit Wikipedia'. Basicaly I am a researcher in sanskrit and i browse wikipedia for my references. Later i knew about the sanskrit wikipedia, which was an excitement for me. Now I am willing to contribute and edit articles in Wikipedia and sanskrit Wikipedia as far as i knew. My topic of research is 'Gemmology- a study based on ancient sanskrit sources' which is an ongoing project. Here i want to show the different facets of this subject and through that i want to show how such a free encyclopaedia can be helpful for the researchers of all subjects.
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector; GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums); WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education; Technology and Infrastructure)
- Length of presentation/talk (if other then 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
Cannot present on saturday
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).