Submissions/Wikipedia in Parliament
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2012.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikipedia in Parliament
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Olaf Kosinsky
- E-mail address
- Olaf Kosinsky
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Deutschland
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- In November 2009, the Lower Saxony state parliament held one to this time uniqe pilot project. With the support of the President of parliament the state parliament opened its doors to photographers and authors of the Wikipedia. These made photos of the MPs and government members for imaging the articles in Wikipedia. In the meantime, two other projects have taken place in the state parliament of Thuringia and the Hamburg Parliament. Such projects will take place in other state parliaments too. The aim is to improve the articles of Members of Parliament and government officials in Wikipedia on a volunteer basis. When planning has been found 90% of the articles had no photo. Therefore teams of professionally working volunteer photographers along with technical equipment and volunteer Wikipedia authors were built to photograph all parliamentary deputies, government members and other persons to improve their Wikipedia article and to answer questions about the creation, collection and dissemination of so-called free knowledge. Basically, the project is open to all assets of the wiki projects. There are not only photographers, but also authors and "technicians" required to accompany the project and available as a contact, eg Questions about the use of wiki content. Up to now, each about 10-15 community representatives (photographers and back-office workers) participated in each project. In addition, this project offers the opportunity to win new photographers to work for the wiki projects. In state capitals we found additional interesting locations to photograph. In Erfurt (Thuringia) we visited and photographed the federal labour court, the state chancellery and the airport. We were allowed to visit sections of these institutions which are restricted areas normally.
- Track (Wikis and the Public Sector; GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums); WikiCulture and Community; Research, Analysis, and Education; Technology and Infrastructure)
- Wikis and the Public Sector
- Length of presentation/talk (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 15 Minutes presentation, 10 Minutes talk
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations (for example - can not present on Saturday)
- Open to any day/time
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Haxpett (talk) 00:00, 11 March 2012 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 22:12, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- AutoGyro (talk) 18:08, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
- Kippelboy (talk) 07:04, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 20:05, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
- OrenBochman (talk) 22:38, 19 June 2012 (UTC)
- Add your username here.